Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I want more clover!


On St. Patrick’s Day it is obligatory for garden writers to write about clover, but I love it all year long. I have had my own adventures with growing clover, both outdoors and in. The photo above shows my messy lawn at present.

Last summer I wrote an article on starting a clover lawn. I did this because my lawn had lots of clover in it anyway and it seemed to be an eco friendly article topic. (For whatever reason, I needed to do something eco friendly.) I usually have a big package of White Dutch clover on hand anyway, because I like using it as a cover crop. I don’t think I mentioned this in my original article, but over-seeding works for people trying to mix clover with their existing grass. That is what I wanted to do, actually. But, since I got over-enthusiastic and did it in the middle of summer I didn’t get much clover. This month I’m going to try and remember to scatter some seed out there. March is good for over-seeding the lawn because the freezing and thawing cycles usually leave the ground moist and loose.

I also used to get little pots of clover from the Charles Village Safeway during this time of year. This was the cute little St. Patricky stuff – not oxalis, which I never seemed to warm up to. I used to make a point to look for it but it never occurred to me that I could just scatter my own seeds on some soil in a pot and have the same thing. Duh. So, on that note, here is my obligatory St. Patrick’s Day clover article.

No comments:

Post a Comment