Tuesday, January 13, 2015

From balmy to freezing- typical January weather in Baltimore

On Sunday January 4 I planted this Rose of Sharon shrub in my yard. It came into my garden because I was walking to church on the evening of Christmas Eve and noticed a neighbor had left about a dozen landscaping plants outside of their house, with a “free” sign attached. Well, I have a small yard now so I have to choose these things carefully and at the time I didn’t think I had room for one. Besides, it was raining and I didn’t think it was practical to carry a wet, soil covered potted tree or shrub to church while wearing a nice outfit.

The next morning, Christmas Day, I decided to walk up and see if any were still left. I took this Rose of Sharon  because I thought the growing conditions it needed would make it perfect for right next to my birdbath.

I planted it on that balmy January Sunday when I didn’t have to wear a jacket or worry about frozen ground. A couple of days later we had a snowstorm and temperatures in the single digits. I was gathering clothes for laundry and it seemed incredulous that I was wearing these same lightweight clothes the day before.

I started brainstorming ideas for an article about the quickly shifting winter weather here in Maryland. It seems to be a trademark of our state, so I wrote “Changeable weather causes damage to trees and shrubs”.  Not my most imaginative title, but at least I am back after not posting for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment