Thursday, April 8, 2010

You're not from around here

We’ve had an unusually warm week and I had to mow my lawn again already. I use an old fashioned reel mower and a man walking down the alley said, “I haven’t seen one of those in a long time!” Clearly, he is not from Hampden where human powered mowers are the grass cutting tools of preference. Like me, many people have small yards and no sheds and keeping a reel mower in the basement is a lot safer and easier.

As you can see by my picture, it was so warm that most of my Red Russian kale bolted. (The flat leafed parsley in the background is fine.) I’m a little annoyed, but, oh, well.

I sowed a few zinnia seeds in a pot for early outdoor seedlings. In checking the weather I might get away with this. Night temperatures are expected to be just below or just above 55 degrees in the coming nights. I can move the pot indoors as needed.

In other news, my article about the DC cherry blossoms peaking has had astonishing traffic this week. I guess all the photos helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment