Monday, April 12, 2010

Rooting basil


I had a very busy weekend, which included a trip to Richmond, Virginia. But, I left my camera in my friend’s car and so I have to find something else to post this morning. Hence, the cell phone photo of a coffee cup full of water and basil.

Yesterday in Richmond (rather, near Richmond) we ate at a pho place. Every time I go into a pho place these days I inspect the basil to see if I can pull off a piece large enough to root it. I don’t want to take the whole thing, see, because my dining companions and I also need to eat it. The last time I went to this same place it was very hot outside and I didn’t have anything to put the basil in, so it didn’t make it home. Yesterday I wrapped these in a napkin with some ice and then put it in a coffee cup with a little water for the journey home. While I realize the folly of carting basil cuttings from Richmond to Baltimore when I can easily get them here, I was happy that they made it.

These cuttings are a bit short, so I relied on a trick showed to me by an old friend who gardened a lot. The wax paper here not only keeps short cuttings out of the water, but also keeps from evaporating as quickly so the water doesn’t have to be refreshed as often. Hopefully, these will root and I will report on their progress.

When I checked Examiner.com this morning I noticed that my article on utility safety for Baltimore gardeners is listed as “most popular” in a sidebar. Hmmm…I can’t imagine why, except that people must be doing a lot of digging this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment