Tuesday, June 8, 2010

City Chickens and Roosters

I’ve been so busy lately that I haven’t been keeping up with my blogging. I’ve had some new writing opportunities but I don’t want to overdo computer time as my injured arm still bothers me. I’ve been slacking off just a touch on my Examiner column, but I do try to keep it current. I didn’t get to city hall while they were harvesting recently but I do have new photos and am planning to write about them again soon.

I haven’t even done photos in a while because I don’t have what I need for my articles and have been using stock photos. I wrote about urban farming in Baltimore today and I have to admit, I enjoyed using a picture of a chicken for a change. (I get into a flower rut because they are easy to photograph.) Apparently you can keep chickens, bees, and potbellied pigs in the city if you follow certain regulations. But, since chickens must be kept 25 feet from buildings, that leaves out most rowhouse dwellers.

This whole urban farming thing reminded me of the Charles village rooster. He frequented the yard of an apartment building on Charles Street, across from Hopkins. He was notorious for waking people up with his crowing but no one seemed to know who he belonged to or why he was there. After awhile he disappeared, presumably to a more suitable environment or stew pot.

For your viewing pleasure I have included a stock photo by Philip MacKenzie. He has some nice chicken and rooster photos on stock.xchng

No comments:

Post a Comment